FIRST FINISHES OF 2015!

021

i have FINALLY completed the three table runners my friend, Karen, asked me to make for christmas gifts. yes, i am aware that it is several weeks past christmas, but THIS time it wasn’t my fault. my lovely lucey broke down just before we were set to leave on our cross country trek, and i wasn’t able to diagnose the problem or do anything to fix it until we got home in january. thankfully, it turned out to be a minor repair, and she is now humming along once more.

i was given creative license, and a general idea of colours and size, so i had some fun with these. karen requested batik fabrics, one in plums, one with a seascape feel, and one that looked like the pasture in summer.

012for the plum, i tried out my new-to-me sizzix big shot pro machine with the 5″ charm square die. it took a bit of fiddling to get the machine cutting just right, but i am really pleased with the result. i laid out the squares on point and added deep plum setting triangles. the original plan was to leave the ends of the runner pointed, but Karen requested a rectangle, so i added the corners. i used superior magnifico thread in crocus and the windy day panto from lorien quilting, and then bound it in the same deep plum.

010

004

for the seascape runner, i chose blues and aquas, and settled on an off white/yellow/pale blue/grey batik for the stars. i wanted the stars to be a little rustic, so when i did the sawtooth star, i made sure the centres of the star points were chopped off by the body of the star. i don’t know if that particular star has a name or not. anyone know? i used magnifico in horizon and the halcyon panto from lorien quilting

002

007

for the pasture runner, i again used my sizzix, this time with the 2.5″ strip die.i did simple rail fence blocks, not worrying about value. i tried really hard to keep the same fabrics from touching, but as usual, the harder i try, the more it happens. i did a wide border on the two short sides and bound the runner in the same fabric. i used superior magnifico in songbird, and the ground cover panto by barbara becker.
006

016

today was the perfect day to get outside and take some pictures. it was only -7c with lots of sun and a slight breeze. i love the prairies in winter! especially on days like today.

happy 2015!!

well, once again, life got in the way of blogging. i had a very busy couple of months in the run up to christmas. i kind of overbooked myself, quilt-wise, and with hockey and school events added to the mix, i’m surprised i didn’t lose my marbles.

we went to thunder bay to visit my sweetie’s family for the holidays. it was no where near as horrible a trip as i anticipated. by that i mean my children were surprisingly well behaved, and traveled much better than i thought they would. we had a wonderful time, but it’s always nice to sleep in your own bed.

mount mackay

one of the last projects i worked on before we left was a frozen quilt, custom ordered for a little girl for christmas. i wasn’t sure if i would be able to get my hands on a panel, as they are pretty hot right now, but i lucked out! i got the panel in the mail the first week of december. i wasn’t sure what i was going to do, but i knew my client wanted a double sized quilt. once i got the panel, i was able to measure it and start planning out what i was going to do.

i trimmed the panel down so that i could add a couple of plain borders. i wanted to do a border of blocks that looked kind of like snowflakes, so i planned them out with graph paper, and then added borders until i had the correct measurement. i wanted to make the snowflake blocks out of 2 1/2″ strips, so i just played with the math until they fit. then i added more plain borders until it measured 74 x 84. i’m pretty pleased with how it turned out, and i think they were too.

003

the fabrics i used were from connecting threads. i used ‘lotta dots’ in sangria, ocean mist, violet, azure, and sweet pink for the snowflake blocks, and winter flakes for the background. for the borders, i used ‘swirls’ in imperial blue, and winter flakes. for the backing, i used the leftover blocks and pieced them in with the frozen character fabric. i quilted it with the ‘windy day‘ panto from urban elementz, and essential pro thread in silver.

005

now that i’m home, it’s back to the grind. i’ve sat down and made a list of all of the projects i have committed myself to, and it’s already 15 items long. eep!!! i also want to make a list of my ufo’s and chip away at them this year. i know i have more than 30 flimsies made, just waiting to be quilted, so it should be a whopper of a list. i’m thinking if i post it here, i’ll be slightly more accountable. slightly.

edit: i’ve been meaning to post how i came up with the snowflake block. i was following along with Bonnie Hunter’s Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt. she came out with step 2 at the beginning of december, and that’s when inspiration struck! i sat down with some graph paper and sketched out the double diamond unit. it wasn’t quite what i was looking for, but after playing for a bit, i found what i was looking for. thanks so much, Bonnie!!!